Thursday, April 28, 2011

Il Ombre

I had heard about the man for several years by this time, if you were in this business in this part of the world, you had heard of him. He had a certain reputation, and the stories that circulated were just disturbing enough to not be forgotten quickly.

Some say he was a chef, or at least wanted to be a chef.

Others say he grew up in a place devoid of food, he grew up hungry, and he grew up with fantasies of food.

Still others say he tries to minimize his guilt by providing a last meal before he dispatches his commissions.

I do not know the reasons why, they all seem reasonable, but I do know this: He always cooks a fine meal for his victims just before he kills them.

He was the first thing I thought of as I opened my front door, and key still in socket, door swinging inward, I was greeted with the sweet smell of grilled peppers and onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment