Saturday, August 16, 2014

1986 Land Rover Defender 90 - Online journal of conversion to 200tdi / Awesomeness - Accepting VOTES for color

  Howdy. 

    So,  that troublesome shipping container has finally made it to me,  and has been unloaded, sorted,  and I am beginning to breathe normally again after the shakedown I was given by DHL.    If anyone wants to know more about that,   hit me up,  I can talk about it for hours.

   The good news is I have a lot of product in stock again!   Plenty of engine kits,  transmissions,  seats, new parts,  etc etc  -  But THIS POST is dedicated to my 1986 Land Rover 'Defender' 90   -     As I type this I am already in the process of converting from 19J turbo-diesel to a 200tdi Discovery engine kit.    I typically do this with most trucks I get in,   and this particular truck...   I am going to use as an experiment to see if I have the patience to 'Fix Up Proper' and make into a badass convertible road/ off road machine. 

    The frame has been made 100% solid on this truck, and I bought it because the bulkhead was also rust-free.   The doors suck on this truck though,  at least the bottoms,  and I already have NEW 1/2 doors for it,  and have new whole-doors on the way.   The rear door is in equally shitty condition at the bottom,  and I have a replacement for it headed over from the UK now as well.

   MY PLAN is to remove the top and take everything out of the interior of it this coming week,   I will then pressure wash & steam clean everything inside,   and then put back together for the time being to drive for a few weeks as a top-off D90 with 200tdi power.    I have a set of Boost alloys for it here that already are changing the entire look of this thing.      I have a brand-new soft top kit for it here,  and also have a truck cab on the way too.      I want it to be a Defendabot.   County Station wagon in Winter,  convertible in Summer,   A truck when the occasion demands it,   doorless for the beach, etc.

   THE BIG QUESTION IS :  WHAT COLOR SHOULD I PAINT IT?      I think the gray is pretty boring,  and although it is a shame to take off thos original decals and bastardize the thing,   as long as I am doing it..... I am tempted to go with one of the more popular colors the US trucks were painted : Bright Red or Yellow -      But part of me thinks if I am going to do this, I may as well go with a color I really like , which may not be a original Land Rover color - Mustard yellow?   Orange?  Leaf/ Avocado green like my 2- door Rage Rover?       I would appreciate any input you may have,  and may make this an interactive build if there is enough interest in it.

   I have a local fabricator who is willing to make a roll cage for this too,  my plan would be for the roll cage to double as the canvas top hoops -   But still be able to fit under the hard top if I want to put the hard top on.    Would like more-or-less like the US 1994-1997 trucks,   but probably without the windshield part of the rollbar.    But maybe with?

   I may upgrade the interior too, to Range Rover seats, new carpet/ mats. etc.    We'll see how interesting this is.

    Here are some 'BEFORE'  pictures of the start of the job, truck here with me in Portland now, at my shop.   These were actually taken AFTER pressure-washing a bunch of mud and moss of it.   The headliner and hardtop are perfect! The rest of the interior is pretty shabby.










    I'll update this weekly,   so save this page and revisit to see the progress.    If I don't update fast enough for you, please remind me to do so!    You can email me at zombiemotors@earthlink.net  or call 503-810-4713 -    Thanks -  Zak

  

No comments:

Post a Comment