Friday, December 20, 2013

1989 UMM Alter II diesel - Coming soon!

   It is finally almost 2014,  a time I have been waiting sort-of-patiently for,  when my 1989 UMM Alter 2 becomes eligible to import to the USA.     I found this last year in the UK while I was visiting and on an engine buying trip,   and a friend offered it to me there,  and it was so strange... and cool,  and interesting that it did not take much twisting of my arm to agree to buy it.

    I like to think I have seen, and am aware of,  most all vehicles in the world.     I have personally owned hundreds of cars and trucks, and like to find the oddball here and there,  but I have never seen, much less ever heard of an UMM.       It looks low and wide,  sort of like a mini-Hummer.     This thing is Portugese,  and this particular one is powered by a 2.5L Peugeot diesel 4-cylinder engine.    It is in very good condition and runs great -   Has some American Jeep running gear like its solid axles.   Has very thick sheet metal body,  would be difficult to dent.  Leaf-sprung and a sort-of-long wheelbase make for a lot of room inside.    It would be considered a utility vehicle,   probably not so much a sport-utility.    Not very fast (although there is a turbo version of this with a lot more get-up and go... maybe I'll shop for a turbo for it?)  but will be a nice truck to use around town as my 'shop truck -   and the top comes off for the summer time,   I may look for a soft top for it.    More weather-proof than a soft-top Land Rover Defender,  and more creature comforts as well as a sturdier build.    I am sure it will attract a lot of attention, even if it were not right hand drive. 

   In its own country it is more common,   and comes in many varieties;   Long wheelbase people-mover,  short wheelbase Jeep,  2-seat pick-up truck,  Ambulance, Police car, Fire tender  -    Do a Google image search and there are a lot, and even a lot of youtube videos showing them in off-road action.        There is an owners club for parts and support,  and the drive train components are not that difficult to come by with the Peugeot/Jeep provenance.       Check it out!  There is even 'Umm World' : http://www.umm-world.com/

       So -   I am going to get this thing on its way here in the next week or two now that it is 25 years old on January First.   Not sure if I can wait for it to go in the next container, or if I will have it sent 'loose'  -    I Was thinking maybe to the Eat Coast and I'll drive it back for a mini-adventure?     Weather will not be the best in January for a road-trip, I suppose.      However I get it here,   it will be making its way in the next two weeks! 

    Here are a few pictures of mine.    Pretty cool, huh?

    









No comments:

Post a Comment