Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Laws Yes!

  Greetings, faithful Land Rover Lovers  (and other lovers)  -   It has been a while since I posted anything, and that was a bitter little post, that.    It has been grim here, folks.    Grim indeed.    Have you read THIS yet? :

  http://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-seized-40-land-rovers-imported-to-the-u-s-1605985758

    Well,  fortunately I did not buy a Land Rover from the gentleman in North Carolina,    (and I must say I am impressed with his prolific importation prowess -   60 trucks!!??)  but this article illustrates that the guv'mint is keeping tabs on the trucks and the importation of said vehicles,  and as a result my latest shipment has been stalled in NY/NJ for going on two months now.    Not to worry -    all is in order and on its way again , cleared,  as I type this,  but it was touch and go there for a while.   Google 'Land Rover Defender Importing'  and you'll see my worry.   It is like Googling 'Scratchy, pain in throat' -    Soon you are convinced you are not long for this world.

    The ding-dongs over at the Defender Source are up in arms about it as well,   with plenty of speculation to go around (that is, before they became bogged-down bickering and name-calling among themselves) from those 'In The Know' offering their two cents.    (and some offering many more cents than that) ; http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?p=545628#post545628


    So what does this mean for us now?    Well, for me,    it means I will be asked even more now this question :   " Do you think I can register that Defender in Arizona ?"   (Or whatever the state du jour is that particular day) -   Buyers will be more wary.      They may even buy less imported Rovers?  Although,  I doubt it.      JLRNA seems to be kissing hiney somewhere along the line to keep out old Land Rovers -   but why?   My guess is, they believe these old primitive Defenders are cutting into their business selling new Range Rovers.      I would bet on it.  

    There are other things out there to worry about people! 

    The irony is,  a person can being in a truck MORE than 25 years old,  presumably without issue,   but can NOT bring one in 24.999 years old or newer -  DUE TO SAFETY AND EMISSIONS VIOLATIONS.  

    So let me get this straight;   I can bring in a 1958 Land rover with drum brakes that spews black exhaust,  but can not bring in a 2001 Land Rover with a clean-burning-catalyzed-exhaust and airbags  -    For safety reasons?  

   Far be it from me to second-guess.

     ANYWAY -   My other guess is that more fellas are going to want to make their Range Rover Classics and Discoveries (as well as Series 88/109 rigs) turbo-diesel and manual transmission.   Well,   I have engine kits for you.        And I can offer installation and/or technical advice. 

      Bring it.

     A lot going on lately.        I'll be posting more in the near future now that I am breathing again.

    In the meantime,  we have Tdi Range Rovers for sale,   and a Defender 90 with soft and hard-tops.   Whaddya' think??@!


  ZM

        

  

No comments:

Post a Comment