Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bring out the clowns: We 'DO' fun cars too! Citroen DS Safari Wagon, Classic Austin Mini Clubman Estate/ Commercial 'Van'

   I have a soft spot in my person for unusual European cars,  not that either of these cars are 'UNUSUAL' for Europe/ England;   Citroen ID/ D Super wagon with 4-speed column shift manual transmission and an Austin Mini Commercial van!

   I have a hard time picking my favorite out of these two ...  The Citroens have always been a favorite of mine, but the Mini gets such great mileage, and is FAST.  Much more fun to drive than the DS...  but not so much on the freeway.   The Mini is much more of a 'city car', and the Citroen would be a(n) better (relatively) choice for a long trip and/or freeway travel.      Both cars can haul more than you think.  More than my Rovers.    Really.

    Europeans!    Post WW2 demands made their cars so F-ing great!    They could never entertain the American car ethic of 'put a bigger engine in it'  to be competitive,  they were looking for ways to get better mileage (Gas/ Diesel has always been the equivalent of 9-13 dollars a 'gallon' )  and make room inside and be practical.    And,  although many of their cars are cheap compared to ours, they were built to last longer.      American cars of the 40s, 50s, 60s, and start of the 70s were pretty great too,   but they were NEVER trying to be efficient,  or do more with less.     Poor Corvair.

    I'll shut my trap now.   I just wanted you all to know that I also bring in European 'Cool Cars' from time to time, I am thinking about doing a containers of Minis soon.   Of course, I will bring in parts,  engines, gearboxes and other hard-to-find stuff too.

    Let me know if you have any questions or need anything  -  zombiemotors@earthlink.net









1 comment: