Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Swapping Range Rover Classic to 5-speed manual gearbox (Chris' truck)

   So, during the turbo-diesel conversion for this 1995 Range Rover Soft-dash Classic the owner elected to go with a 5-speed manual transmission at the same time.    The Range Rovers are actually set up to become manual easily (They are often stick-shift in other parts of the world)  and you do not need to many 'special' parts to do it.   

   I have some pictures here of the process, I had to remove the ABS pump and distribution block, then unbolt the pedal box itself and remove.   You will have to unbolt and remove the steering shaft that goes from steering wheel to power steering box in order to remove the pedal box assembly.  

   Once pedal box is out,   either swap in a manual pedal box assembly,  or in the case of this truck, I unbolted another box and swapped out the clutch pedal and pedal shaft into the auto pedal box.  I had a RHD pedal box, which is different,  but the pedals themselves (As well as master cylinder) are the same and can be swapped over in a few minutes.  Then, carefully measure and drill out the holes for the clutch master cylinder, tack weld the nuts to the back, then re-install pedal box.    Pretty easy!   You will have to source a steel fluid line to go from master to slave cylinders, and the anchor for the pipe is already on the Range Rover body.

    I have much more pictures and information about the complete swap, just follow my blog here for more information, and do not hesitate to email me at zombiemotors@earthlink.net for more information or parts.  I carry everything to do all these various conversions here at my shop in Portland , OR  - Thank you & Happy motoring!









 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on regarding Techno British And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and yes, you got it. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete