Thursday, September 9, 2010

Welcome back

I just stand and stare at the spot you just walked out of. I do not move at all. I hear the door open, shut, a minute later a car's engine start. I stare at the spot where you stood, but you stand there no longer, so I stare at a wall in the distance which is out of focus.

I do not feel anger or sadness or joy or despair. I feel absolutely nothing, not even the desire to get back to what it was I was doing before. Time passes. It gets dark. I become thirsty. I blink my eyes, I realize I have been waiting for you to return. If you did return, I would probably not speak to you, I have nothing I want to tell you, but I would like to see you standing in your spot again. I get an idea.

I go to the stereo and play a song, a song that I think should call you back. If you were to come back now, this would be the perfect score to your return. Turn the volume knob up a little more. I program the player to repeat this song. I go back and try to stare at that spot again, but it is different now, it feels contrived. I try for a full minute. I realize this is silly. I realize I am silly. I go back to whatever it was I was doing before.

I realize I am silly, but I leave the music on. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment